[MUD-Dev] Casual Crowd vs.Time Rich Crowd [was: Time Debt]

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Mon Sep 6 02:37:51 CEST 2004

Matthew Dobervich wrote:

> Image this "mini-game" set inside a world where people are running
> around with swords killing monsters.

> Is one clearly "greater reward for time invested"?  Both ask
> different thinks of the player, both offer the player different
> rewards.

> Current MMOs are amusement parks with one REALLY GREAT RIDE!  And
> maybe a halfway decent sideshow or two.

I wrote my concrete idea in the message "flat power treadmill".

What keeps things together is the fact that:

  1- The different "rides" are applied to the *same* activity. PvP
  combat between large groups in my design.

  2- The different "rides" aren't differentiated by being more or
  less fun. Like two classes in a party can be different and, still,
  fun.

  3- Time invested is a goal but not required. Aften you hit the
  reward you can still use it in special situations only and if
  there are more than one players with your qualification you can
  still not be choosen and remain as "every other player".

Obviously "2" is hard to achieve but the differentiation isn't based
on the activity. It is based on HOW you play IN the same situation.

In fact I strongly criticize Raph's design in SWG. I hate when a
different role prevents you to access different activities. I
consider this bad design.

Instead I love when you can still combat, craft, and whatever in a
game but by playing ALL those parts in DIFFERENT ways.

So I can fight but I'll be an healer-type, then I'll craft but I'll
be a tailor... etc. Specific gameplay but not strict activities.

-HRose / Abalieno