[MUD-Dev] Tuplespaces and MUDs

Alex Arnon alex.arnon at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 11:12:28 CEST 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:53:19 -0500, Matt Cruikshank
<mcruikshank at vitalimages.com> wrote:
> J C Lawrence asked:

>> Are tuplespaces interesting for game development?  What would be
>> needed to make them more interesting?

> It seems to me that the processing model of tuplespace isn't very
> appropriate for MUDs, and other than that, you'd just be using a
> tuplespace repository as a relational database.  I say that,
> because input and output is definitely based on a connection
> between the client and the MUD server.  Unless you plan on
> distributing the execution of player commands?

I'd second your opinion. Tuplespace applications seem to be mostly
based on either using the space as a sort of relational database, or
acting as a farm of reactive agents which wait on processing
requests from the tuplespace. In the MUD server example, we simply
devolve into message queue processing - in which case you are
implementing the Erlang processing model, using an inappropriate
language (C++/Python).  I am not all that sure that tasks waiting on
message queues are an appropriate design basis for a MUD server,
BTW.