[MUD-Dev] Cheating in the world

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Thu Oct 28 23:40:28 CEST 2004

Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> "Damion Schubert" <ubiq at zenofdesign.com> writes:

>> If the management of UO hadn't had a change of heart and started
>> coming down on cheaters hard, everyone would have fled, and then

> Well, the point is, I don't understand why climbing on spoons is
> cheating. To me, that is depth.

Because the players, as a whole, decided it was and management
decided it was probably smart to listen to their customers.

> If it is a world, the management of UO shouldn't be of any concern
> to me. I am not going to walk around in a world and ask myself
> "Hmm, wonder if the management of UO would disapprove of this or
> that?". It seems perfectly reasonable that if the physics of the
> world allows me to innovate, I should very well benefit from it.

I think the problem here is your misconception that virtual worlds
are, in fact, actual self-contained worlds, which is an
impossibility given their dependence on other parts of
reality. There is only one true 'world' (or reality) in the end, and
that is a world that includes all the 'virtual worlds' in it.

--matt