[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Bloo bloo at kriegergames.com
Thu Oct 28 01:41:39 CEST 2004

Damion Schubert wrote:
> Mike Rozak [mailto:Mike at mxac.com.au] wrote:

>> How much "better" (aka: more fun) could you make the voice chat
>> if you integrated it yourself? Would you be able to charge an
>> extra $5/month (or whatever) to cover the extra bandwidth?

> In our case, it'd take a lot of work.  One of the bad things about
> our current situation that I'd love to fix is that it doesn't tie
> automatically into group structures that exist into the game - I'd
> love it if your adventuring party all joined the same chat
> channel.

That is/was fairly easy to do with Roger Wilco as far back as 2000.
I think Day of Defeat also did it seamlessly.  I don't know how
Gamespy is managing it anymore, but I do notice they have removed
the sample integration code that used to be on the site pre-merger.

Disclaimer: Former Roger Wilco employee.

-bloo