[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

asteroid at rocketmail.com asteroid at rocketmail.com
Tue Oct 26 04:18:56 CEST 2004

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2004Q4/msg00020.php

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 20:54:17 -0700
Paul Schwanz <pschwanz at comcast.net> wrote:

> Do they really like the grind?  Or do they just like getting the
> xp?  Would they fletch arrows if running missions gave them more
> xp?  Personally, I think that it is the relatively safe
> accumulation of xp that they enjoy, not particularly fletching
> arrows.  If they could get the same kind of safe xp by farming
> corn, they'd grow corn.  An activity is not required to be
> mindless in order for one to unwind after a long day of work, it
> is only required to be relatively safe for their character.  If an
> alternate activity is more interesting (i.e. not as mindless),
> while not being more stressful, I think you'll find that players
> are happy to leave mindless grinding behind.  --Paul "Phinehas"
> Schwanz

Do players like the grind? I don't think anyone enjoys a 12 hour
session killing the same type of mob over and over while watching
the godfather trilogy on DVD, gaining half a level. What players
enjoy is the sense of accomplishment and recognition from fellow
players when reaching the later levels.

Players will also always go for the most efficient way to gain XP. A
good example of this is AO: Shadowlands. Killing hecklers in SL give
you the best XP there is, it is sadly also the most boring way to do
accumulate XP, and still everyone does it even though Rubi-ka, the
main planet, has a lot of fun encounters.

That said, I think what most long-term players likes even less then
grinding is advancing too fast. There are a lot of complaints about
WoW's 10-15 days to level 60 journey, atleast among the more
"hardcore" players. At the end of the day, it is all about the
journey there, not the final level.

-Johan