[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Thu Oct 21 19:14:11 CEST 2004

Richard A. Bartle wrote:

> Another thing that text has over voice is multi-tasking. I can
> carry on 4 conversations in text simultaneously, but I can't in
> voice. Voice does have some huge advantages over text, but text
> also has some over voice that can't be discounted.

I do 95% of my business communication over text for this very
reason. I don't like the fact that when I'm on the phone I find it
difficult to actually do anything but be on the phone with that
person. Voice doesn't allow me to measure my responses, consider
what I'm going to say, perhaps delete it before hitting 'return' and
type something slightly different, etc.

--matt