[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Miroslav Silovic miro at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 18 13:43:02 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> Of course, they're cheating - Shangrila is a rather extreme TS
>> MUSH.

> Hey, that's not cheating. They're just appealing to a possibly
> underserved niche within a niche. Good for them.

I knew with *certainty* that you were going to say this. I forgot to
put quotes around "cheating", of course. And a smiley. :)

> Nod. MUSHs just don't reach the same size non-MUSH MUDs
> do. Shangrila is an outlying exception and still doesn't compete
> with the largest text muds in terms of player activity.

Well, the reason why I stuck to my side of the argument for this
long is that the MUSHes I play (or played) used to easily hit
nightly peaks of 150-200 players. In particular, Battletech 3056 and
PernMUSH did. Several others peaked 100, and then put the incoming
connections on hold - this was circa 1996 and the servers they ran
on couldn't handle any more. Non-MUSH-like MUDs of the time weren't
any bigger, either, also due to hitting their scaling limits. So I
just assumed that their player bases switched to competing MUSHes,
without really looking.

In other words, what we are dealing with is a comprehensive failure
of MUSHes to attract the new generation of gamers. Now the
interesting project would be to look what their niche turned
to. RPGs on IRC and bulletin boards could be one possible candidate.