[MUD-Dev] PvP and teamspeak?

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Wed Oct 13 20:48:48 CEST 2004

Douglas Goodall wrote:

> There's definitely good reasons to prevent Teamspeak, which gives
> some players a significant out-of-game advantage. I don't think
> you should try to control for things like good organization, which
> all players are (theoretically) capable of.

But that's not true. There are vastly differing levels of
intelligence, capability, and social IQ at work. If having an
"out-of-game" advantage (a bullshit distinction to begin
with. Holdover from sloppy thinking about what roleplaying is, in my
opinion.) is something to prevent, your only solution will be to
take all control of the avatar out of the hands of the player, run
it with identical server-side AI, and just let the player watch what
his or her avatar does. Anything else brings out-of-game advantages
like available free time, intelligence, organizational acumen, etc
into the game.

--matt