[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Tue Oct 12 17:23:03 CEST 2004

Adam Martin wrote
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

> But...don't they quickly learn, given the opportunity, how shallow
> it is, and then stop complaining? Or is it just random chance that
> most (I think in fact "all") those I've seen have eventually
> learnt it?

In our game individuals have the ability to achieve but only a team
(side) can win. We have one group who through a combination of
history repeating itself, better tactics, better organization etc.,
had become accustomed to winning more often than not.

That did not seem to deter their interest at all and while it did
make a morale problem for the regular losers this was not as
pronounced as the morale problem that arrived after the regular
winners started to lose more consistantly. Once the balance began to
swing toward 50/50 due to the losing side getting better and
emulating the winners. The side that was used to winning all but
fell apart over themselves, having no history of dealing with the
morale of losing.

So while cheating does decrease the challenge of winning, winning
itself does not necessarily destroy the illusion. Winning everyday
doesn't mean you no longer want to win, or play.

People who don't always win do not complain nearly as loudly or as
passionately as people who are used to winging but suddenly find
themselves losing.

-Dana V. Baldwin