[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Ben Hawes cruise at casual-tempest.net
Wed Oct 6 16:53:45 CEST 2004

Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to Matt Mihaly:

>> I'd suggest just looking at the evidence first, which is pretty
>> clear-cut, and then drawing your conclusions: Many, many players
>> enjoy the grind.

>> I think a lot of people on this list want to believe that
>> everyone in the world wants to play like he or she wants to play.

> Note that I don't think everybody full understood the original
> point of the thread.

> Rewarding achievements instead of XP grinding is extremely
> elitist.  It's not really a mass-market friendly system. Having
> time isn't enough; you need time *and* some skill at the game. If
> you lack time, you're going to progress more slowly, but if you
> lack skill, or the will to explore and take risks, you will
> eventually stop progressing *before* the maximum available level.

> People complain often that they don't have enough time compared
> the "kiddies" who play 12h a day, but, with a time-based xp
> system, they do have the illusion that, sooner of later, they're
> going to "catch up". It takes them a year of slow grinding, but
> they can do it.

But the point of the achievement system is that you can replace time
/with/ skill. So even if someone does spend 12 hours a day playing,
they may advance no further than you, if you are skilled enough.

True, people without skill /or/ time are still left behind, but
that's still less people being left behind than current grind-based
systems.

And if the achievement system is sufficently varied, requiring a
range of skills, then people should be able to find /something/ they
can do well enough to advance.

--
	"quantam sufficit"
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]