[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Oct 4 06:34:01 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:

>> Perhaps because EQ represents the best option available?

> So what makes it the best option available then? EQ =
> grind. There's not much else there. If the grind isn't what these
> people want, why are they in one of the most grindy of all the
> MMOs?

Fair enough.  Diablo 2 is another good example of an incredibly
popular all-grind game.  I agree that there must be a good
percentage of folks who like the grind (heck, I even enjoy D2 from
time to time).  Social reasons might hold a person to a game for a
bit longer than they would have otherwise, but certainly not
indefinately.

> I think a lot of people on this list want to believe that everyone
> in the world wants to play like he or she wants to play.

You could be right.  Or perhaps we just want someone to design a
game that we'd enjoy playing regardless of whether that design is
appealing to the majority.  I certainly feel that way from time to
time.

Sean