[MUD-Dev] TCP/UDP/IP Offload NIC for gamers?

Harlan Beverly hbomb at fastai.com
Sun Oct 3 16:24:03 CEST 2004

--- Jay Moran <jay-MUDDEV at tp.org> wrote:

> Oh well, this was fun to think about. I like it when I get to
> marry my speciality (networking) with my hobby (online gaming). By
> the way, greetings everyone, I've never posted here before, but
> have been lurking for a few months. Again, nice discussion group.

Jay, et. all,

Thanks for everyones replies.  I, like Jay, enjoy marrying my real
job (TCP/IP) to my hobby (game programming).

I think Jay and others, are hitting on an interesting idea: UDP
offload with other CUSTOMIZABLE layer-5 processing...

Jay, you mention an FPGA (which is reconfigurable hardware), but
would not a general purpose CPU on the NIC serve the same function?

As a side-note: if this TOE were agressively priced enough, would
not many gamers buy it anyways? (even if the benefit was minor)?

Finally, something to think about....

Another advantage of TOE can be LATENCY (if designed propperly).  A
Latency advantage (even for an at-home Low Ping bastard on a DSL),
is something worth paying for...

The problem is Low Latency for TCP is easy to do with a TOE.  Low
Latency for UDP, is very dependant on the implementation of the
Layer-5 protocol over UDP.

Thoughts on Low Latency?

Harlan