[MUD-Dev] Shift in time

Brian Lindahl lindahlb at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 08:13:38 CEST 2004

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu> wrote:

> ...and my solutions aren't particularly applicable to most other
> MUDs.

Well, I highly doubt that. While it may not be applicable towards
the typical derived MUD, there are quite a few developers (or at
least were) that were very interested in implementing unique
solutions to problems and who loved to share such unique solutions
with the group to bounce ideas off, and receive constructive
criticism. In the past, the list wasn't so much used by developers
to ask questions, but to post ideas for critique. This type of
atmosphere has seemed to have disappeared lately - and something
that I miss quite a bit.

Also, in reference to commercial MUDs and developers who may be now
in contract - I believe this mainly applies to MMORPGS - which seems
to be the new focus of the list. About half of the discussions
posted here are either directly focused on, or partly focused on
MMORPGS, and ones that are graphical at that - something which I
really really hate to call a MUD. To me, a MUD means an interactive
story where a powerful aesthetic feel is introduced by the textual
interface - one that most graphical MUDs can only hope to
provide. Note that I'm not using the explicit definition of MUD, but
rather the definition that relates to the more historical aspect of
the acronym. To me, a MUD is more of an art than simply something to
entertain a massive crowd of bored gamers.