[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really (By R. Bartle)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Mon Nov 29 02:59:00 CET 2004

"Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk> writes:

> I see your point about predisposition, but although it's a factor
> I don't believe it's the main one. The sheer magic, delight and
> wonder of their initial experiences is what does it.

I don't disagree, but then I also see players going the opposite
way. I.e. they burned out on the dominating elements of their first
one. *shrugs*

However, I think the real reason for the first impression being so
strong is that the first MUD you play has infinite depth when you
first encounter it. Later encounters lack their luster as you know
where the depth ends, and if so they do aquire skills which reduces
the longevity of the second MUD.

My point was more that it is rather difficult to measure. And there
are more reasons than I first mentioned as you have to take into
account why and how they left their first MUD, or even if it was
just a vacation (I see a lot of this too, e.g. playing CoH for a
couple of months then coming back)

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/