[MUD-Dev] UI Design in MMOs

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sun Nov 28 09:35:04 CET 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

> The other bit of UI design theory that games don't seem to get is
> that flashy icons and glistening backgrounds are great eye candy,
> but they ultimately distract from the important information on the
> screen (like the 3D image). (TV news shows ignore this too...)

I thought of this just after I sent out my mail...

This is an example of Richard Bartle's "good short-term, bad
long-term" user-driven features, although I don't think he was
taking about UI design. Eye candy like this attracts buyers, but
users pay for it in the long run by spending a few extra
milliseconds every time they try to find the icon they're looking
for, or are distracted by the flashy UI, or can't read the text as
easily because it's over a marbled background.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au