[MUD-Dev] The Root of the Tree (was NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds ...)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Nov 25 14:03:02 CET 2004

neild-mud at misago.org writes:
> "David Kennerly" <kennerly at finegamedesign.com> wrote:

>> I wonder, though, if I've overlooked the discussion of a
>> different (yet relevant) term.  Has the list rejected the term
>> "computer-mediated community"?

> The usage of CMC that I'm accustomed to includes things like IRC
> and AIM.  It's a more inclusive term than "MUD" and "virtual
> world".

In CMC the C stands for communication, not community. It's basically
a research field that try to address issues on a level that is so
wide and general that the results become not-very-interesting or
useful... IMO. (i.e. too reductionistic, out-of-context or obvious
to aid MUD design)

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/