[MUD-Dev] The Root of the Tree (was NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds ...)

David Kennerly kennerly at finegamedesign.com
Thu Nov 25 05:27:04 CET 2004

Damien wrote:

> The usage of CMC that I'm accustomed to includes things like IRC
> and AIM.  It's a more inclusive term than "MUD" and "virtual
> world".

By CMC, are you referring to computer-mediated communi~cation or
computer-mediated communi~ty?  Certainly IRC and AIM are the former
(chat).  Wouldn't the system need a set of persistent public goods
to be the latter (community)?  And, if an implementation had
communal goods, wouldn't such a system be a descendant of the
overarching category of what this list designs, develops, and
implements?  If not, what's the fundamental distinction?

Certainly such an online community need not be a MUD, an online
game, or a virtual environment.  But we're talking about an
inclusive term that describes root of the taxonomical tree to which
PSWs, MMOGs (or MMPs), MOOs, and MUDs belong.

A unifying term implies a unifying model; a system of unified
theories.  Does a unifying model have utility?  I think it might.
There are enough varieties to populate the domain and there are
sufficient microtheories and hypotheses to at least set a goal for a
unified theory.

Now, I'll hint again, through your example, why I don't think
virtual worlds is a meaningful title of this unification:

>> - Such things as "virtual friends" or "virtual currencies" sound
>> odd.  If there is a virtual friend, what is a real friend?  Do
>> friendships, currencies, or contracts have a material essence?

> "Virtual friend" is simple shorthand for "a friend who I
> communicate with exclusively through the 'virtual' world of
> computer networks".

Sure.  I understand the terms' usages and the etymology of this
community's lexicon.  But, just for example, as you defined one
term, virtual friend, the same definition may be stated with fewer
words and less ambiguity:

    "Virtual friend" is simple shorthand for "a friend who I
    communicate with exclusively through computer networks".

In the former sentence, the phrase "the 'virtual' world of," adds no
signal.  In fact, it adds noise.  "Virtual world" makes the
friendship sound more mysterious than it is.  Almost as mysterious
as: an imaginary friend, with whom I communicate exclusively through
a magical mirror.  :)

David