[MUD-Dev] The Lag monster...

Ben Carter bcarter-dv at gumdrop.flyinganvil.org
Thu Nov 18 18:20:24 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 01:55:25PM -0800, Harlan Beverly wrote:
> "Sean Kelly" <sean at f4.ca> wrote:

>>> I can see how optimizing the data sent might help performance,
>>> but I don't think data transfer is the bottleneck in regular
>>> gameplay.

> By your own admission, in some cases Data Transfer is one of the
> bottlenecks.  (such as when you were on a bad broadband
> service... and no doubt especially for modem players).  So for
> these players, data compression, grooming, etc. would indeed
> improve their apparent laggieness.  (the question would be to what
> extend?)

I recommend looking up the OSI layer model; while TCP/IP may not map
perfectly to this, it is still a good thing to be familiar with.
What you are describing (a NIC) works at the bottommost layers
(1/2).  What you are attempting to fix is a function of all the
layers *above* this; while it is _possible_ for the bottom layers to
cause problems, in most actual cases (and specifically in many of
the things you describe) perceived problems are a function of higher
layers; their characteristics are the dominating factor in
performance.

--
-Ben Carter
disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"