[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really! (By R. Bartle)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Nov 18 14:08:12 CET 2004

"Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk> writes:

> I needed an umbrella title for my book, and used "Virtual World"
> because that was the best on offer. Now you're saying that we
> can't use "Virtual World".

> OK, so what do YOU think we should use when we want to refer to
> things like MUD1, LambdaMOO, UO, EQ, SL etc.? Or are you saying
> that there shouldn't be an umbrella term because they're so
> different that we shouldn't lump them all together?

I am saying that one shouldn't redefine the term "virtual world" at
one's own whim, thus making it meaningless. A virtual world has to
be... a world, not just a sports arena.

Besides, those systems you mention are virtual worlds (more or
less), but there are definitevely systems that are less world and
more game, i.e. pure multi-user games, multi-user environments,
multi-user entertainment etc.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/