[MUD-Dev] Richard A. Bartle talks MUD Design

Miroslav Silovic miro at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 10 11:33:01 CET 2004

Johan wrote:

> I think the majority of players don't care much about the
> immersion of 'Mount Doom' after the first or second time. They go
> there to camp the spawn for their gear. Instancing is good in a
> way. I'm tired of camping for 6 hours just to be OD'd or to find
> my Guild won't be online in time to assist with the kill.

Majority of players hate camping, period. While instancing does
prevent camping, it does so without solving the real problem:
milking the same static spawn over and over.

How about dynamic drops: the more you raid a single zone, the less
likely will you find anything worthwhile (which has additional
benefit of being realistic)?

This gives player population a *strong* incentive to spread out in
the world and explore. Now you only need to provide enough space for
them to keep out of each other's way.

    Miro