[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Mon Nov 8 17:41:06 CET 2004

According to Amanda Walker:

> This is pitted against the fact that the rewards of levelling are
> set up to be appealing.  "Gee, that's a cool looking robe.  All I
> can wear at the moment is burlap.  I guess I have to go grind so
> that I can get enough xp to be able to stop looking like a total
> dork." (SWG has a pleasant fix for this, where making cool stuff
> is level-dependent, but wearing it is not (except for armor)).

That is one of the factors. Most games now enforce a "required
level" on items, to avoid the Everquest "twink" syndrome, where a
level 5 warrior could once be equipped with the best gear in game.

As a result, until you are maxed or close to max, equipment is "the
junk I use for now". It's not efficient to spend time at a given
level to acquire cool stuff; in 5 levels, you're going to outgrow
all that, and get access to a complete new set of cooler stuff.

So, if the game itself reduces the reasons for doing something other
than getting XP, what's surprising about the fact that people tend
to focus on that to the exclusion of everything else.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)