[MUD-Dev] The Lag monster...

Kiztent Hatepriest kiztent at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:55:15 CET 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 16:06:02 -0800 (PST), Harlan Beverly
<hbomb at fastai.com> wrote:
> --- Amanda Walker <amanda at alfar.com> wrote:

>> What leads you to believe that network processing on the PC is a
>> bottleneck for gaming at all?

> Thanks for the continued interest...

> I'm a gamer, obviously.  I for one hate LAG more than anything
> else.  When playing U.O., Everquest, Galaxies, Asherons, and the
> rest it was the only thing that frust actually made me throw my
> mouse.

> The burning need is Lag.

> The question is, how do I solve it?

> There are three ideas on our table: One way is to squeeze a little
> out of the client side host processing.  We can do that, but it's
> a marginal improvement at best.

> Another way is to reduce network traffic: we can do that with
> compression and possible active filtering of unnecessary messages
> (both inbound and outbound).

> A final way is to improve server performance.  We can do that.

> Any other ideas?

I don't know about ideas, but I know that in my experience, network
performance isn't the problem.  Usually when I play it's rendering
and loading information from disk into memory (lots and lots of
memory).

I get good performance at 14K/sec (too far for ADSL, no cable), and
that barely touches the network inside my firewall.

I think Amanda's question is really valid.