[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really! (By R. Bartle)

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Sat Nov 6 09:19:20 CET 2004

Richard A. Bartle wrote:
> On 5th November, 2004, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:

>> This makes no sense to me...  Where are these games that don't
>> loose players?

> It's not that they don't lose players; it's that they don't lose
> players to other virtual worlds. The player bases of the
> Simutronics, Skotos and Iron Realms text-based worlds don't leave
> in frustration at poor gameplay; they do leave, but usually for
> real-world reasons.

That's actually kind of a funny question Ola asked. A friend at
Valve IM'd me today saying he had read your paper, Richard, and
asked, half-jokingly, if we even have turnover, as everytime he logs
on over the years he sees a bunch of familiar faces, minimally.

We do, of course, but I think retention in the good text games tends
to be somewhat longer than in graphical. There's definitely people
leaving for other worlds though. We have prominent players who are
ex-players or admins for Simutronics, and I'd imagine the reverse is
also true.

--matt