[MUD-Dev] Cheating in the world

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Fri Nov 5 19:40:38 CET 2004

Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> "Ted L. Chen" <tedlchen at yahoo.com> writes:

>> Um.. if it's a world, and spoon thievery is rampant across the
>> land, wouldn't the reigning goverment put a stop to it?  The
>> judicious use of force (or magic physics barring spoon tricks -
>> in this case) is well within the expected response of any
>> governing body.

> I am not saying that the physics or design of the world should
> remain unaltered. The players shouldn't have to think "will
> climbing on spoons get me banned or is it ok?". That is
> detrimental to the world (not the game).

Is it harmful to the integrity of the real world that the majority
of the world's population thinks exactly like this? "If I have an
abortion/kill someone/have premarital sex/don't pray to Mecca 5x a
day/etc will the Head Admin strike me down or take revenge on me
later?"

It may be crazy, but it's certainly not detrimental to the world as
a world (I don't believe it's possible for anything to be
detrimental to the real world as a world concept, since it is a
'world', period.)

It sounds suspiciously like you're grasping for reasons why
developers should run games based on your personal preference rather
than some underlying principle.

--matt