[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Fri Nov 5 19:05:38 CET 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:
> Dana Baldwin wrote:

>> What program do you use for voice communication in game?

>>   77% Teamspeak
>>   1% Roger Wilco
>>   2% Other
>>   18% None

>> Do you prefer regular chat or voice?

>>   34% typing
>>   66% voice

> Wow, I never thought that voice comms would be so popular, even in
> a PvP-only VW; I thought they'd be more like 20%-30% of the users.

I would caution that the polls site probably only gets the attention
of the more hardcore involved player and not joeAverage. Still when
the internal community screams 'GET VOICE' and its free, its tough
to pass up. And honesstly for PvP, it makes the world of
difference. Situational Awareness is very difficult to simulate
effectively in a game environment and enhanced communication tools
help.

50% of users total would not seem outrageous to me for our game.