[MUD-Dev] Creative guy seeking a MUD

c_andreev at fmi.uni-sofia.bg c_andreev at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Fri Nov 5 15:54:19 CET 2004

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2002Q3/msg00315.php

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:49:22 -0700
Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu (Sasha Hart) wrote:
> [Frank Crowell]

>> I tried a couple of times to recruit people for a bot-dominated
>> mud.  I even invited the AI guys over a couple of times.  But no
>> one ever showed any interest.

> My blue-sky idea for a bot game used players as generators of
> little scripts for running bot-critters. These critters' basic
> fitness is their use of computational resources (cpu, memory, etc)
> and somehow (e.g. by gratuitous slayings together with
> reproduction of the well behaved) blame is assigned to hungry
> designs. Of course, this is already technically not the easiest
> thing (for me, anyway). The twist I had on the idea was that in
> addition to keeping resource use low, bots' fitness and
> reproduction would be regulated by their ability to fill certain
> niches. E.g. by player feedback (like a vote for funniest bot or
> whatever) or in some cases by more automated means (e.g., I don't
> know, encouraging players to attack them). By altering the
> contribution of different sources to the fitness function it would
> be possible to change the rules of the game over time.

Hi all,

I also want to know what did happened to the project. I'm interested
in mud bots, and soon we (small group of students) will produce a
couple of bots. So, as much information we have, the bots will be
better