[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Thu Nov 4 17:46:22 CET 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:
> Dana Baldwin wrote:

>> Desktop boom mics work great. Been using the same one for 5
>> years.

> Then the MMORPG would have to shut off all sound before it
> listened; with a headset microphone it should be able to keep the
> sound on.

> Does anyone have any idea what percentage of voice-chat users go
> for a desktop microphone vs. headset?

I'll try and run a poll on our poll site to see.

With 3rd party software I'm not certain how this is handled. I don't
recall any of them turning off speakers when transmitting but that
could be an oversight on my part. Some things you just get used to.

Generally though you do hear some background noise on occasion it
isn't game feedback that gets to you, its music, other people in the
room and most notably dogs.

Most desktop mics have pretty good directional pickup I would guess
but perhaps a rear speaker set up would inflate the noise.