[MUD-Dev] Richard A. Bartle talks MUD Design

Wayne Witzke wayne.witzke at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:17:37 CET 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:32:28 -0500, Ken Snider <ksnider at flarn.com> wrote:

> http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20041103/bartle_pfv.htm

> I just read a fascinating take on MUD design, and some common
> pitfalls that seem (to me, at least) to be cropping up in the
> newer gen of MMOG's. To summarize his points from the article
> above (direct quote):

I just read the same article.  Amazing insight...  A little gut
wrenching.

> What I found interesting was to take a step back and read into
> what he was truly /saying/ in his points. Anecdotal evidence
> suggests he's mostly correct - many folk *do* remember their first
> MUD/MMOG as their favourite - not necessarily in the sense of the
> /game itself/, but in the sense that no game since has ignited in
> them the same feeling of immersion, or wonder, or what-have-you
> that the initial multiplayer experience tends to impart.

> That leads to an interesting question, reinforced, again, by the
> article above - I've seen many times of late that individuals have
> suggested that treadmills, or game mechanics taken from the
> current leaders (EQ/UO/whatever) can't possibly be wrong.. because
> so many people play them..

> ..but what if the whole reason they play them is that A> for many,
> these games were the first experience they had, and they have a
> subsequent deep attachment to the world that may /transcend/ game
> mechanics, social nets, and so on, and B> that many of the newer
> games, *lacking* in the feeling of familiarity, of the close
> connection one feels to their first experiences, drives players
> either away from the market entirely, or *back* to their first
> experiences?

I'm in the process of designing my first MMORPG as well, and many of
these traditional but poor game mechanics are things that I was
planning on leaving out of the game, or replacing with other game
mechanics that seem (to my design team at least) to be better
designs.  But, I would still like people to visit the world that
we're putting together.

What about including the traditional but poor game mechanics, but
also including alternatives that work better in the long run?  For
instance, taking an example from the article, including instancing
as an alternative to another, better designed questing system that
actually has the characters adventuring in the "real" virtual world,
rather then their own personal pocket dimensions.

I can already see a couple of problems with this approach, namely
doubling (at least) the time involved in developing certain aspects
of the game, and trouble transitioning players from the poor game
mechanics to the good game mechanics.  But, maybe the development
cost would be worth it, and the transition could be overcome....?
Anybody else have any thoughts?

Wayne

--
Wayne Witzke