[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Corey Cauble ccauble at pacblue.com
Wed Nov 3 21:21:57 CET 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

> I was just thinking that a problem with voice chat is that you
> HAVE to wear a microphone, usually the headset kind with the
> earphones. I have been wearing one for 3 hours a day lately to
> record more sentences for my text-to-speech voice. I HATE wearing
> the contraption because it hurts my ears (despite its super-soft
> foamy ear-covers), attaches wires to me, and is hot (a problem
> faced only in the tropics).

This particular complaint about voice has been expressed by numerous
people. However I think that they are overlooking one key thing
here, no one is saying that voice will be required to play (guild
requirements aside). If you like it, use it, if you don't, type
away. The idea is to give the general populous the ability to
communicate via voice without having to provide their own means
(another service add-on). Voice to text (coupled with mute) is also
a viable application here for those people that do not wish to hear
others talking as well. None of these things need to work absolutely
perfect to make them useful either. Hell most game companies can't
even make network code work right still ;)

Corey Cauble