[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Mon Nov 1 04:56:13 CET 2004

asteroid at rocketmail.com wrote:

> That said, I think what most long-term players likes even less
> then grinding is advancing too fast. There are a lot of complaints
> about WoW's 10-15 days to level 60 journey, atleast among the more
> "hardcore" players. At the end of the day, it is all about the
> journey there, not the final level.

There's nothing forcing players to level in 10-15 days.  From what
I've read of World of Warcraft, there's plenty of content to enjoy
at all level ranges.  So if the journey is what it's all about, the
only person responsible for a player's journey being too short is
that player.

I believe that a "more hardcore" player's complaint about too little
time required to reach the top level is based on their desire to
achieve.  In EverQuest, it is a considerable achievement to reach
the top level.  It represents thousands of hours of invested time,
even if most of us know (or suspect) that the only difficulty is the
out-of-game difficulty of finding playing time.  In World of
Warcraft, it is a relatively trivial achievement.

It doesn't matter if the world offers many things for your character
to do once you've reached the top level.  For some people, levelling
is the primary achievement of the game, and if that is seen as too
easy, it loses its meaning.

(Of course, I suspect that these people are the ones who will
complain about any levelling system with a shallower XP curve than
LevelQuest, and that they're best ignored for the sakes of the other
players, ie, me, for whom increased XP requirements soon take
levelling time from 'long' to 'cancel subscription.' :)

--
bje