[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Thu May 27 16:32:58 CEST 2004

Jeff Freeman wrote:

> ... In spite of what the commercials suggest, these days you stand
> in line to put your kid on Mickey's lap and you pay extra for the
> photo.

> Yeah, it's a human actor in the suit.  Wait in line for an hour or
> so, see an actor for 2 minutes and then it's NEXT! and you're back
> out on the lawn.

> Sorry, what is it we're supposed to learn from that?

That despite your disbelief and derision, millions of people with
many disposable dollars go there every year and spend thousands of
dollars because they find it to be an enjoyable, meaningful
experience worth repeating.

And that, in contrast, we in this industry know almost nothing about
how to attract and keep that sort of attention.  If we did, we'd be
doing it.

Mike Sellers