[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Crime and Punishment

Ghilardi Filippo ghilardi at dsfinance.it
Wed May 26 17:27:47 CEST 2004

J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 18:02:30 -0700
> Matt Mihaly <matt at ironrealms.com> wrote:
>> J C Lawrence wrote:

>>> They don't need to multi-play.  All they need is multiple
>>> accounts which they play sequentially.

>> Just because you can't stop everyone doesn't mean it's not worth
>> stopping some people...

> Aye, I was hoping someone would raise that point.  There's a curve
> involved and the point of trade-off between the enforcement cost
> and the return value isn't always clear.  To continue the homily
> tradition, "Pick your enemies carefully" and "Keep your friends
> close and your enemies closer."

Detecting multiple accounts won't be easy, anyone could say that
they play togheter with sister/wife/husband or whatever. So even
having 2 accounts logged at same time with same IP isn't a proof.

Legally could be (if written in TOS) but you'll loose who want to
play in family with parents among others that would be unhappy of
such constraint.

Looking for and finding alternate multiple accounts hold by griefers
and cheaters is a must (as an attempt to stop the player and all his
accounts). But looking for any kind of multiple account is IMHO very
resource consuming.

W. Churchill said: "If 2 mans smoke under a no-smoking sign, you
fine them.If are 30 people smoking you say them they should stop
smoking. If are 300, you should remove the no-smoking sign.".

So I would say that if you have many with multiple accounts in a
game that shouldn't have... you have probably a design flaw but
players like the gameso don't stop playing. But they feel the need
of a mule and open a new account. In such situation probably
managment won't permit designer to change the game as extra accounts
=3D extra money :)

ciao
Filippo G.