[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Online adventure games

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Tue May 25 08:45:11 CEST 2004

>From Jason Downs:

> I really think you are looking in the wrong direction.

Because I'm thinking about online adventure games, or because your
next paragraph (below), or because of both?

> Most all of the "social" MUDs offer enough programming to make
> excellent adventure platforms.  Certainly all of the TinyMUD
> derivatives do; some of them offer macro-like interpreters built
> into objects, such as the TinyMUSH derivatives and TeenyMUD, while
> others provide stand alone interpreters.

I suspect that most MUD/MMORPGs have enough flexibility in their
scripting language to turn themselves into adventure games, even
Everquest... Why don't they? Are there any TinyMUDs, TinyMUSHs, and
TeenMUDs that are adventure games? (Your next response answers this
question to an extent.)

> I know I always wanted to provide some degree of that classic
> adventure feel when I was working on such platforms way back in
> the day.  It's hard to sell adventuring/exploration/puzzle solving
> to people who just want to sit in one room and use IRC with
> interactive objects, though.

If you have any more details about your experiences please send them
on to me. This is one of my concerns, and relates to what Amanda
Walker was saying: You can't predict what users will like and not
like in your particular game.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au