[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon May 24 12:17:00 CEST 2004

Vincent Archer wrote on 14 April 2004 07:28 :

> Ditto. At least for DAoC. I made the mistake of stopping play for
> 10 months.  Once I rejoined, I was 27 and all my friends were
> 50. We couldn't group together most of the time, they were busy in
> the frontier doing RvR at a level which would have slaughtered me
> if I had come there.  I was playing a bit, but most people around
> didn't want me (a hero) in groups, so I had to solo.

> After 6 weeks, I gave up in disgust, and went back to EQ. Where I
> had left a level 60 character before Planes of Power, which took 2
> weeks playing with another set of people I knew to "catch up" (I
> could and did group with them during the time).

> That's a problem with level-based segregation of content. The
> content is separated, but the playerbases are as well.

Similarly with keys to new areas etc. Flags like that really ought
to be done at an organisational level, not at the individual. Thus
if you are in a guild, but take a break for a few months, you can
return and get back to playing. Having to perform arduous quests to
play with your friends again is a significant barrier to
re-entry. Especially as you then feel obliged to your friends should
they pull you back up to level and content access knowing what a
pain it is for them.

Dan