More on levels, was Re: [MUD-Dev] What is an RPG?

rick cronan rick at redemperor.com
Wed May 5 16:25:49 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 06:31, Mike Rozak wrote:

>   -- "Metric" and "Payment to encourage players" - These can be
>   achieved through other means than just levels. Money works very
>   well, so does property, social status, etc.

I disagree, for a couple of reasons.

A level is a quick and easy metric as to a character's personal
power regardless of that character's chosen profession.  Wealth,
property and social status are of no interest to a D&D monk style
character, for example.

Furthermore, being able to compare with other characters *across*
classes / professions is important to players.  The player of a 15th
level wizard knows his character is more personally powerful overall
than the 10th level fighter he's talking to.  The player of a wizard
with 147836 gold pieces isn't so sure how he compares to a fighter
with 100592 gold pieces.

The other thing about levels of course is that they provide clear
demarcation points for players to aim for.  I read books, and will
often finish a chapter before I go to sleep at night.  Finishing the
chapter gives me a specific to aim for.  Books without chapters are
less satisfying for that pre-sleep read because there's no clear
break point.  In a similar way, I think many players look forward to
the significant boost in power that comes from leveling up that just
doesn't work with the many small gains of a levelless system.  They
get a sense of achievement from reaching that level that they simply
don't get from improving one skill by a small amount several times.

- rick