[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Tue May 4 00:34:16 CEST 2004

John Buehler writes:

> I'm not a fan of juggling equipment.  It mostly means hassle.  I'd
> prefer to have scenarios subtle enough to permit players to be
> successful by using their own approach - by making the needed
> decisions according to their equipment.  I wouldn't want to design
> encounters that require players to carry equipment for the four
> types of challenges present in the game.  I think we want players
> to be able to be somewhat innovative - not pack mules :)

Players want to be somewhat innovative. Most will never
be. Designing toward the minority that can be is a poor
idea. (That's not a comment on your actual idea, just the
justification for it.)

> Right.  A side effect of that is that it paces the players as they
> progress through the game content.  It extends the life of the
> game.  In current games, if all characters and monsters were level
> 50, players would quickly visit everything in the game at a pace
> that THEY found entertaining and be done with the game in a couple
> weeks to a couple months.

If you assume that the game is just about bashing and leveling, at
least. That's hardly true in many muds, particularly in text.

--matt