[MUD-Dev] Cultural impact on Muds

Sat Mar 13 17:00:30 CET 2004

"Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> writes:

> politics and legislation is a primary mechanic), or Fighting
> Legends was (where control of multiple avatars simultaneously was
> a mechanic).

Where can I find documentation of Fighting Legends? Essays, papers,
anything...

> What I was saying, simply, is that by and large the USA tends to
> export cultural product (movies, music) much more than it tends to
> import cultural product.

Import culture, export products? :*)

> Don't take that as a jingoistic or nationalistic statement. I
> don't find it particularly GOOD that the USA is able to make, say,
> RAMBO 2 a huge hit worldwide without needing to know how it'll
> play in Barbados or Croatia.  Nonetheless, Hollywood did do that,
> and regularly does that. My statement, rephrased, is that "the
> various US entertainment industries seem to be succeeding at
> exporting entertainment to countries around the world without
> doing much tailoring of the content to different cultures."

> It doesn't mean that there is universal success. The games
> industry is a clear example of the opposite in action. Japan does
> very well at selling Japanese games to the American public, but
> the reverse is not true.

Hmm... The consuption rate of movies is fairly high, and production
costs too. In addition Hollywood movies have been present since
before most countries could afford comparable productions. Thus,
international audiences have acquired the compentencies to interpret
Hollywood movies over time, and of course, the genre itself lacks
subtleties... (If anyone need to convince themselves that
interpreting a movie takes skills, then try look at one from
1930-1950. These old movies appear as slooow to us, but didn't
appear so to their contemporary audience...)

I don't think this is the case for many other artifacts, not to the
same degree.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/