[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture.

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Fri Mar 5 15:44:56 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 05:00, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> PK. For instance, in this system, I could in-role rape you (via
> emotes or whatever), you could kill me for it, and I'm suddenly
> the victim, able to take out a bounty on you. This is what I meant
> about

It's difficult to abstract away the concept of rape.  But from an
abstract perspective, you're saying that if A commits a crime
against B, B is then perfectly free to commit a crime against A.  If
you replaced the word 'rape' with 'assault,' it is clearly true that
you're suddenly the victim.  B's correct recourse is the justice
system.

In the context of the discussion, if A emote-rapes B, B's justice
can be found via reporting the (presumable) violation of terms of
service.  If B kills A, A's justice can be found via the game
mandated law that thou shalt not kill.

We may also have a fundamental problem with our respective
definitions of the word 'justice.'  You can take it to mean what is
considered right and fair, or you can take it to mean what is
legally valid.  If you use the latter, a game system is justice if
it upholds the game's laws.  If those laws are simple, justice is
simple.  If those laws are like real laws, you need to examine more
information and make less clear cut decisions.

--
bje