[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture.

Jester jester at futuremmorpg.org
Wed Mar 3 13:20:46 CET 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> So write out a design or show me a workable example. I'm just
>> giving you the benefit of 7+ years of practical, commercial,
>> hands-on design/admin-side experience.

> Sorry, I just noted that you (Jester) had already put up your
> design. I see others already pointed out some of the ways players
> will abuse it via mules, etc.

Well I hope you will keep an eye on the page as it evolves, as we
have addressed 90% of the current abuses so far.

> My major comment, though, is that I apparently misunderstood your
> aim.  This isn't a justice system. It's a system for complicating
> PK. For instance, in this system, I could in-role rape you (via
> emotes or whatever), you could kill me for it, and I'm suddenly
> the victim

Alternatively I could 'emote' removing your genitals with a blunt
rusty knife, before reporting you to a GM, safe in the knowledge
that your account would be banned. (I don't know a single GM who
would take an in-game rape lightly).

For less topical taunts, I have dealt with this issue in my reply to
Roy Suttons post (today's date) and will be updating my master
webpage http://www.futuremmorpg.org/capture.asp on the issue of
taunting later today.

> Fundamentally, your code will never be capable of recognizing what
> most people recognize as 'justice.'

Justice implies laws to cover all types of crimes, so I agree the
system wont do that, it will only cover the crime of murder, but as
this IMHO the most psychologically impacting crime (bar rape) common
to the genre, it deserves to be addressed. It suits computer
judgment very well as it is a simple quantifiable action, either you
initiated an attack on the victim (causing or contributing to their
death) or you didn't so it should be able to deliver a better form
of 'justice' than the player currently has the choice of :)

Jester