[MUD-Dev] [NEWS] Gaming Open Market

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Jun 25 10:34:58 CEST 2004

From: Matt Mihaly

>> Do merchant accounts let people DK a credit card transaction as
>> easily?

> Yes. There is no way to prove delivery of a digital product that
> Mastercard/Visa will accept at this time. And in a recent, further
> effort aimed at f*cking over small merchants, the Great Credit
> Card Duopoloy has deemed that if you dispute a chargeback and are
> ruled against, you get fined up to $500.

So a forward thinking publisher might be able to leverage that. How
about offering, for a fee, in game audited transactions. i.e. you
pay 5USD and they allow you to perform a secure in game transaction
with audit and a transaction number. This number can then be used to
check a web page which would confirm the transaction. Seems like a
nice way of monetising the whole practise without acknowledging that
the items have direct value.

Matt, as an aside, have you tried doing limited edition in game
items?  Charge a premium, guarantee there will only ever be 10 of
them and sell them. They wouldn't even have to be unique, just
change the description a bit so that its visibly different. Even if
it didn't generate new sales, I bet people who were wavering on
buying something, but hadn't got around to it would suddenly
complete.

Dan