[MUD-Dev] [NEWS] Gaming Open Market

Peter Keeler scion at divineright.org
Tue Jun 22 03:24:08 CEST 2004

Amid this discussion of selling virtual property, one of the more
interesting experiments in the field has just been struck a very
crippling blow. The Gaming Open Market has been allowing trades
between US dollars and numerous game currencies for awhile now, and
seemed until today to be steadily gaining in popularity and trading
volume. They are now victims of some pretty massive PayPal fraud and
have restricted their markets to solely Linden Dollars.

I'm less interested in opinions about the morality or profitability
of trading virtual goods as I am in the health of the actual
market. This seems to be a sign of just how fragile the marketplaces
actually is, where a seemingly growing site can be nearly eliminated
in a single day. Will sites like GOM continue or is that paradigm
doomed? Will there ever be a site that allows free trade of virtual
currencies rather than requiring a trade to a real currency first,
or is that far too risky?

Included below is the news announcement from the Gaming Open Market
explaining what happened.

----- Forwarded message from jamie at gamingopenmarket.com -----