[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Ban selling of in-game items for real cash?

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Jun 3 09:42:18 CEST 2004

Yumiko wrote:

> Recently, we have noticed some players selling in-game items for
> real cash. Many times, they sell the same items available via
> donations but for a cheaper price. Speaking from a business
> standpoint of profit maximization, would it be a good idea to ban
> such practices? The arguments I can think of are:

IMHO, I think players should be discouraged from selling their
items, but an outright ban is too harsh.  What I would do if put
into this situation is make "donation" items remember who bought
them.  When anyone who is not the original owner uses them, they
incur penalties.

The penalty may be decreased stats, or it may incur non-repairable
damage when used by anyone who is not it's owner.

It's like buying anything used... it's not likely to be as good as it
was new.  This allows the players to dispose of their items as they
will, but protects the business investment.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom