[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Tue Jun 1 22:07:24 CEST 2004

On May 31, 2004, at 9:52 PM, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> I'm not sure this is true. We are MUCH better at keeping
> customer's attention than Disneyland is. When was the last time
> someone spent 2000 hours at Disney properties?

If it only cost $10/month, plenty of people would never leave.

> And some of the biggest MMOs, like Neopets, appeal to a huge
> segment of the population. According to Alexa, it ranks #142 in
> total web traffic, in the world.

Neopets is very interesting.  As far as I can tell, it's designed to
be maximally addictive to 7-10 year olds (and boy do I know some
addicted 7-10 year olds, who pester me about playing whenever they
visit).

It's also free.  Many free things are very popular.

Amanda Walker