[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

Zach Collins (Siege) zcollins at seidata.com
Sat Jul 31 23:50:15 CEST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Brendan O'Brien wrote:

> What I would like to see is a system where instead of constantly
> hitting your opponent for 15 damage each swing until he dies, the
> whole point of combat becomes a match to try to land a hitting
> blow.  I think when most of us picture two master swordsmen going
> after each other in a fight, the last thing we expect to see is
> them standing there, slugging it out toe to toe like the end of a
> "Rocky" movie.  Instead, I envision the fighters parrying and
> dodging most attacks, using their skill, speed, and strength to
> find a way through the other's defenses.  It should be a much more
> fluid combat, making use of obstacles and other warriors around
> them.

I keep seeing posts from different people who want this same thing,
sometimes several times a week.  Didn't UO2 have this?  Wasn't the
new-style skill-based combat (especially the impressively animated
martial arts) supposed to be one of the big draws for the game?
Whatever happened to it?

Oh, right, it was going to interfere with UO's profits, instead of
being considered a reason to bet the farm:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q1/msg01562.php

> Agreed.  I've often thought that some of the puzzles from Puzzle
> Pirates would have also made decent methods to use in a crafting
> system.  The carpentry one in particular seemed like it could have
> been a natural fit for a smith to make products with.  Heck,
> anything has to be more fun than what we are faced with in a
> typical game today.

Hurrah for anything that makes crafting more than 'stick items in
slot, press button'.  Personally, I'd like to see crafters given the
ability to imbue items with specific powers, benefits, and
drawbacks.

-- Zach Collins