MMO Communities (was RE: [MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations:Theskyisfalling?)

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Fri Jul 30 03:06:10 CEST 2004

John Arras wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Byron Ellacott wrote:

>> Until the creation of such quests is a sufficiently small amount
>> of work that it's OK to have only one person able to consume that
>> work, it's impractical to have the solving of a quest affect the
>> game world.  If you have around two thousand players per shard,
>> that means you'd need to put in two thousand times as much effort
>> to get the same number of quests for each player as you would
>> when quests can be repeated by others.

> Or, what if we try to figure out why rats appear and have them
> appear at reasonable times and places.

[snip good discussion of the "rat quest" problem]

That's an interesting approach to the problem.  Taken further, each
society would be able to have a number of attributes, and the
player's "quests" would be to improve the lot of the society in
general.  And adding new content would be a matter of adding to what
societies can keep track of: bandit activity could have any number
of consequences on a society, with wealthy but poorly defended
societies attracting more bandit attention.

It would be interesting to see if it could work in practice.

--
bje