[MUD-Dev] Indie MMOG's

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Thu Jul 22 22:15:25 CEST 2004

Derek Licciardi wrote:

> It's not a complaint at all.  I know where out weaknesses are and
> there are things about our company that haven't been said on this
> list like our track record in the business arena that proves we
> can run and grow a company, etc., etc.  My point was really to
> illustrate that money is and has been our biggest hurdle.  Why we
> haven't been able to secure it is another matter entirely and
> doesn't remove its relative importance to our plans.

Yeah, fair enough. Money is a toughie alright. All other problems
begin once you actually get the money.

> If what I stated came off as complaining then that was not the
> intention.  I was merely flatly stating our experience to date.
> Nothing more; nothing less.  I was recanting the things we had
> been told by various people in and outside of the industry.  Does
> that hide the true problem underneath? Maybe but more than one
> company has passed on a good idea only to have it bite them later.
> So who is right, the publisher with a low risk, conservative
> portfolio or the entrepreneur that chases a dream until it comes
> to fruition?

Whoever makes the most money was right. <---- Said somewhat
facetiously.

To be fair though, I don't think any publisher that funds a large
graphical mud can be called conservative. I don't care if you get
together Marc Jacobs, Raph Koster, Brad McQuaid, Richard Garriott,
and Jake Song on the same team with the combined Star
Wars/Tolkien/Marvel Superheros license. It's still quite risky!

--matt