[MUD-Dev] Indie MMOG's

Scott Jennings scottj at mythicentertainment.com
Thu Jul 22 18:17:36 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

>> There is a minimum barrier to entry in project budget size to
>> compete with the big players in the industry.  I just don't buy
>> that a half million dollar MMO is going to beat the pants off EQ,
>> DAoC, SWG and the others out there.

> Actually, even if you had a small and very talented team that
> could produce a better product, as soon as your product looked
> like a threat, the large MMORPG companies would leverage their
> marketing and finances to squash your accomplishment.

There are several successful indy MMO development houses that
disprove your theory. No one "squashed" Mythic when we released DAOC
(which, by the way, was developed for far, far less than $200
million). The market is competitive, but not to the level of, say,
operating systems. And there's plenty of room in the market for
successful entries (just ask NCSoft).

---
Scott Jennings
Programmer