MMO Communities (was RE: [MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: Thesky isfalling?)

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Thu Jul 22 04:11:58 CEST 2004

Derek Licciardi wrote:
[Cut text regarding support for 9/11 victims, nationalism and unionism.]

These three examples are very large but relatively insubstantial
communities, formed from very large and definitely substantial
issues. The interpersonal connections within them are mostly
nonexistant -- except within the smaller communities that form as
part of the larger ones.

That, I feel, is where the 250 person limit comes in.  It's a
guideline that tells you when a group will be sufficiently large
that each member cannot have a personal bond with enough other
members to satisfy our need for community.  Thus, smaller
sub-communities will form as discreet sections of the greater
community.

   Community size: (http://www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming/laws.html)
   Ideal community size is no larger than 250. Past that, you really
   get subcommunities.

That states it more succinctly than I can (Thanks, Raph).  The
greater community still exists, but it's no longer of an ideal size:
it has fractured into subcommunities, chapters, counties, guilds, or
whatever you like to call them.

--
bje