[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

Ghilardi Filippo ghilardi at dsfinance.it
Wed Jul 21 16:15:16 CEST 2004

"Derek Licciardi" <kressilac at insightbb.com> wrote:

> I'm still not convinced that a 250 person group is the maximum
> group size one can have.

I would take this number just as an indicator of the size of a
group.

Anyway we should understand what a group is before trying to see
it's maximum size. We could see players of a game as a whole and
consider it a community even if is broken in sub groups.

Without thinking at games and tools they offer we can just think at
what happen in real life. We can get a group of 50 people that take
an holiday togheter. They are a group and that group is even quite
small to let to know each other. But in few days smaller groups will
form. Also one could take part to more than one sub-group at once.

More people in the group and more those people will know less about
each other. Even remembering one hundred names can be something we
wouldn't do very easily. It's natural to get near to someone that is
near your playstyle, mindview or simply for fun. And in very little
you end up to have a small group inside the official big
group. Guild expansion will make more likely to have more people
that are more near your idea of group than the vision of the
guild. At some point is natural to have a split for a reason or the
other.

Few games implement ability to handle groups and subgroups (or
supergroups). Usually all you have is the guild and a friend
list. DAOC in this has something that is interesting, called
Alliance. An Alliance is a group of guilds. Beside that had been
probably implemented to let guilds to organize big raids in RvR, I
think that is anyway something worth to have for the community. If a
guild split, both pieces can get in alliance and keep to follow
common projects.

Also technical difficulties arise with real big groups. If there's a
common chat, more people means more noise and less fun. In RL we
won't have such problem as you technically don't have a common
chat. Anyway in both cases you will see small groups forming withing
the bigger one. But in game you don't see those smaller groups and
there's no query on database that can catch them. May be that some
datamining on chat logs can get them, but I would see some privacy
concerns about that.

ciao ciao
Filippo