[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Thomas Tomiczek t.tomiczek at thona-consulting.com
Wed Jul 21 16:10:24 CEST 2004

Tom "cro" Gordon wrote:

> I've also help to create more than one community of online game
> players of more than 50,000 people, all of whom identify
> themselves as part of that community (this is one of the things I
> do for a living).  Whilst it is true they may never occupy the
> same 'space', they're all part of the community as a whole.

> Have you considered the communities that surround games like
> Counter Strike? Everyone may not know everyone else, but they all
> identyify themselves as part of the Counter Strike community.

Well said.

STILL the majority are not in the counterstrike community, but in a
subcomminuty - namely their clan. IMHO nothing else wais said - get
a community over a certain size (like 250), and it will fragment in
itself into subcommunities. These may be clans, guilds, may be more
informal.  But these sub-communities WILL and DO form. The big
community is not any more a uniform mass of individuals, but
something that has an inner structure.

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Software & Consulting Ltd.